The Summer Book Trek is an annual Reading Challenge that takes place every July. This is a month-long challenge, where participants read as many qualifying books as they can.
Participants earn points for reading novels by LDS authors (or co-authors), leaving online reviews, and nominating qualifying books for the Whitney Awards.
Anyone can participate as a reader. Daily winners are chosen using the Rafflecopter system of earning points. More points = more chances to win free books provided by sponsors (that would be you). Readers earn the most points for reading Sponsoring Books. You can read participant details here.
UPDATED for 2017: Some requirements/options have changed. Please read the following details carefully before submitting application.
Application Deadline: June 20, 2017
Fee Payment Deadline: June 22, 2017
There are three types of promotional opportunities available during the Summer Book Trek. You may choose to participate in one or all of them.
1. Reading Challenge Giveaways—This option is now filled.
The Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge encourages participants to read and review novels and novellas by LDS authors. The Reading Challenge is the main focus of the Summer Book Trek. Participants earn points by completing Rafflecopter entry options.
Reading Challenge participants get DOUBLE POINTS if they read a sponsoring book! (This is a HUGE encouragement for participants to read your book.)
Readers work hard to earn their points and we want to make sure they will be pleased with their prize. Therefore, this particular option has higher eligibility requirements for sponsoring books and application does not guarantee acceptance.
If accepted, you will provide one copy of your book as a prize in the Rafflecopter giveaway. Your book cover is listed alphabetically by title on the Prize Page, with my affiliate link to Amazon. Your book will remain on this page until the next reading challenge (approximately 3 months). No covers are featured on the sidebar. No author bios included in the post.
Your book will receive individual promo posts on the New LDS Fiction Facebook page and the LDS Book Geek Twitter account, with a short blurb and link to the Reading Challenge. If you have a Facebook page and/or Twitter account, I will attempt to tag you. Promos will begin after payment is received.
Daily winners will be selected at random by me and they will pick a book from the Prize Page. You will be notified via email when a winner has selected your book and you will send the book directly to them.
Requirements: Prize book must have an official release date between June 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017, and must be available for purchase on Amazon for the entire month of July. It must also meet the General Eligibility Requirements below. You may submit multiple titles, if desired, as long as each title meets the requirements.
Cost: $5 per book, plus a copy of your book sent directly to the winner.
2. LDS Fiction Reading Challenges Facebook Group Fun—This option is now filled.
During the Summer Book Trek, we will also be doing a daily activity in the LDS Fiction Reading Challenges Facebook group. (You can see examples from our previous reading challenge in the group.) This is a great option for books released before June 1, 2016 or between June 1 and July 1, 2017.
Not all members of the Facebook group participate in the main reading challenge, but their comments and posts get your name and book in front of more people. This also keeps the fun energy going and draws more attention to the official reading challenge.
Random winners are chosen from commenters on the post. You will be notified via email when a winner is selected and you will send the book directly to them.
Requirements: This option is limited to 26 sponsoring books (1 book a day, Mon–Sat), and will be closed as soon as the spots are filled. Book must be available for purchase on Amazon for the entire month of July. Book may not be a prize in the Reading Challenge Giveaway (see above). You may submit multiple titles, if desired, as long as each title meets the requirements. However, depending upon the number of submissions, authors may be limited to one title per author.
**This should be a different book than the one you enter in the main Reading Challenge Giveaway (Option 1).
Cost: $5 per book, plus a copy of your book sent directly to the winner.
3. E-Book Promo Blasts
If you’re running an ebook discount promotion on Amazon concurrent with the Summer Book Trek, I’ll blast it out on both New LDS Fiction and my personal social media (FB & Twitter), PLUS add it to a daily email sent to those who’ve subscribed to my Special Offers email list.
Requirements: Promotion must begin during the Summer Book Trek. Promo pricing must be at least 50% off the regular price of the ebook. Perma-free is okay. You may submit multiple titles, if desired, as long as each title meets the requirements.
Cost: $5 per blast. (Limit 1 blast per book.)
General Book Eligibility Requirements
All submitted titles must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Author: Book must be authored or co-authored by an LDS* author.
- Book Type: Fiction only, middle grade and older. No picture books, children’s chapter books, or memoirs.
- Content: G, PG or mild PG-13. There will be a place on the form for details.
- Size: Full-length novels, novellas, and anthologies at 90 pages or more. No short stories or novelettes.
- Book Format: Prizes may be either print (shipped to U.S. addresses only) or e-book. Sponsor must be able to provide the ebook in .epub AND .mobi formats. Prize must be the FINAL version of the book that is currently available for sale. No ARCs. No pre-release/uncorrected galleys.
- Release Date: See individual promo requirements for release date restrictions. Re-releases only accepted if there have been significant changes to story/plot. Cover, title, and formatting changes do not count.
- Available for Purchase: Must be available for purchase on Amazon.com by the first day of the Reading Challenge. (This is to help YOU with sales.) You may apply for books that are posted for pre-release sales, as long as they go live by the first day of the challenge.
- Ratings & Reviews: Book must have at least 10 reviews on Amazon, with a 4-star or above average rating. (See exceptions under Quality Check)
- Publisher: Either traditional or self-published.
- Reminder: Application does not guarantee acceptance.
*LDS = Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
We want prize winners to be pleased with the books they receive. When poorly written and/or formatted books are given as prizes, or when prizes are not delivered to the winner in a timely manner, it decreases enthusiasm for future giveaways and diminishes the effectiveness of other author/book promotions. Therefore:
- Every submission will be reviewed by a committee before acceptance. Submission does not mean automatic acceptance as a sponsor.
- Using the book sample available on Amazon, a committee will do a spot check on each submission for book cover, internal design, and writing level. Books don’t have to be perfect and we’re not looking at stylistic preferences, but each title should meet minimum reader expectations for a published book.
- We will also read a few reviews, at all star levels. The content of the review is more important than the actual star level given. (Don’t worry, we can tell the difference between a thoughtful reviewer and trolls.)
- We understand that brand new books may not have the reviews needed to meet the General Book Eligibility Requirements. Exceptions will be made for authors who have a backlist of published books with good reviews, authors who have done well in our previous reading challenges or giveaways, or if a trusted reader has given it a good review.
- We also understand that some authors have many family and friends who 5-star their books regardless of the actual quality or content. Despite the average rating of your book, it may not be accepted if responses to your giveaway in previous challenges has been negative or if a trusted reader has given it a poor review.
- If your application is not accepted, we will notify you. Preference is given to books with professional look to the cover design and formatted interiors, as well as quality writing.
- Sponsor may be either the author or publisher.
- Sponsors will be required to send the book to the winner. Sponsor shall ship or email the book prize straight to the winner. Print books shall be shipped to U.S. addresses only; e-books shall be emailed worldwide.
- Sponsor must be able to accommodate reader ebook preferences, available as .epub and .mobi./li>
To apply to be a sponsor of the Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge, you need to:
- Read this page carefully—in its entirety! Failure to do so may result in rejection of your application./li>
- Use the links beneath each Summer Book Trek Promo Opportunity to go to the corresponding Application Form.
- Submit your application form(s) by June 20, 2017.
- Submit one form for each title/promo.
- Acceptance will be emailed by June 20, 2017 and will include instructions for paying the fee via PayPal. (Multiple accepted applications will be included in the same invoice. Payments will be processed through the Rosehaven Publishing PayPal account.)
- Payment must be received by June 22, 2017.
- As soon as payment is received, your social media promos will be scheduled. Promos will start as early as June 15, 2017. The sooner you pay, the earlier your promos will begin.
Other Sponsoring Details
Please read carefully. By submitting the application form below, you agree to be bound by the following:
- Sponsors are strongly encouraged to join the private LDS Reading Challenge Authors Facebook group. This is the easiest and fastest way for me to give you updates and answer your questions. Ask to join at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LDSReadingChallengeAuthors/
- Preference is given to newer releases and to books that will create a good blend of genres, if available. However, quality of the book is the main determining factor. All decisions are final.
- Sponsor shall pay a $5 per promotional opportunity, per title, upon notification of acceptance as a sponsor. Each $5 fee purchases one promotional opportunity for the 2017 Summer Book Trek.
- You may submit applications for any number of titles, as long as they meet the Eligibility Requirements above, but you may only give away one copy per title.
- If I have to limit the number of sponsoring books, I will contact you to determine which of your titles you want to give away.
- Sponsor shall send book to the prize winner selected by NewLDSFiction.com. Sponsors must be able to accommodate reader preferences as to .epub, and .mobi formats.
- Prizes shall be awarded regularly throughout the reading challenge. Rafflecopter winners may pick their prize and have up to one week after the notification to send me their contact information. I will forward this information to you via e-mail. Please keep this information private.
- Sponsor shall contact the winner and send the book within one week of receipt of notification of winner from New LDS Fiction.
- Summer Book Trek promotional posts will be made to New LDS Fiction social media accounts and newsletters throughout the challenge. These posts will cover the Summer Book Trek in its entirety and also feature individual titles at least once during the challenge.
- Sponsors are encouraged to notify their readership through email and social media about their own titles in connection with the Summer Book Trek.
- Sponsors may also participate in the reading challenge and are eligible to win prizes.
- Sponsor may withdraw and request a refund (minus processing fees) via email before June 28, 2017. No refunds shall be given after that date.
- If for some reason the Summer Book Trek is cancelled due to default by NewLDSFiction.com, all sponsors will receive pro-rated refunds for the days the challenge was cancelled. There will be no pro-rated refunds due to acts of God or temporary server downtime.
If you have any questions, please contact me at ldsbookgeek [at] gmail [dot] com.
Although I cannot imagine a problem developing, I have been advised to state the following: The owners of New LDS Fiction (www.newldsfiction.com) make no claims nor offer any guarantees of effectiveness and shall not be held responsible for any traffic or lack thereof generated by sponsoring NewLDSFiction.com. NewLDSFiction.com shall not be held liable and prizes may not be retracted once the reading challenge has begun. The owners of NewLDSFiction.com, other companies that support or contribute to NewLDSFiction.com, readers, family, friends, neighbors, etc., etc., etc. CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any outcome, positive or negative, that may or may not arise from participation in this sponsorship program, including but not limited to individual blog/website traffic or lack thereof as generated by sponsoring this website and/or its contests; increase or decrease of book sales; a late post date; or anything else that may or may not irk you. SPONSOR AT YOUR OWN RISK.