The Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge* is an event that takes place between February and May. Participants earn points for reading the previous year’s Whitney Award Finalists and leaving reviews online.
Anyone can participate as a reader. They do not need to be part of the Whitney Voting Academy, nor do they need to be LDS to enter or win.
Prizes will vary from year to year but will include an Amazon Gift Card (provided by New LDS Fiction) and Book Bundles (provided by sponsors). Winners are chosen using the Rafflecopter system of earning points. More points = more chances to win prizes.
Book Bundles are comprised of up to five novels, and created at the discretion of New LDS Fiction.
*The Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge replaces our previous Read ‘Em All Challenge.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2017
$5 Application Fee Deadline: March 29, 2017
Book Bundle Eligibility Requirements
All submitted titles must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Book Type: Fiction only, middle grade and older. No picture books, children’s chapter books, or memoirs.
- Author: Book must be authored or co-authored by an LDS* author.
- Size: Full-length novels, anthologies, and novellas of at least 50,000 words required. No short stories or novelettes.
- Book Format: This is an ebook giveaway. Sponsor must be able to provide the book in .epub, .mobi, AND .pdf formats.
Prize must be the FINAL version of the book that is currently available for sale. No ARCs. No pre-release/uncorrected galleys.
- Content: G, PG or mild PG-13. There will be a place on the form for details.
- Limitations: Up to five books will be included in each Book Bundle. The exact number depends upon the number of sponsoring books and the length of the contest.
- Release Date: Official release date must be between January 1 of the previous year and first day of the month the Reading Challenge begins.
- Available for Purchase: Must be currently available for purchase on Amazon.com by the first day of the Reading Challenge. (This is to help YOU with sales for those who do not win a Book Bundle prize.) You may apply for books that are posted for pre-release sales, as long as they go live by the first day of the challenge.
- Publisher: Either traditional or self-published.
- Exclusions: Current Whitney Finalists.
Based on feedback from previous reading challenges, we will be including a quality review before accepting submissions. Submission does not mean automatic acceptance as a sponsor.
Using the book sample available on Amazon, a committee will do a spot check on each submission for book cover, internal design, and writing level. Books don’t have to be perfect and we’re not looking at stylistic preferences, but each title should meet minimum reader expectations for a published book.
We will also read a few reviews, at all star levels. The content of the review is more important than the actual star level given. (Don’t worry, we can tell the difference between a thoughtful reviewer and trolls.)
If your application is not accepted, we will notify you as to the reason. Preference is given to books with a professional look to the cover design and formatted interiors.
- Sponsor may be either the author or publisher.
- Sponsors will be required to send an ebook to the winner.
- Sponsor must be able to accommodate reader ebook preferences, having the book available as .epub, .mobi, and .pdf formats.
The Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge requires a Sponsoring Fee of $5 per title. This fee includes your book cover on the Book Bundles Prize page, with my affiliate link to your book on Amazon.
Each book will also be featured on my Facebook page and Twitter account, with a short blurb and link to the Reading Challenge. If you have a Facebook page and/or Twitter account, I will attempt to tag you.
Additional Ads & Fees
In addition to the official Reading Challenge and Prizes, there are other ways to get your book noticed. These work independently of the main challenge, but get your book in front of interested readers. Books must meet challenge eligibility requirements.
- Facebook Group: Sponsor of a daily post/giveaway in the Whitney Reading Challenge Facebook group. Cost: $5 plus book
- Promo Promotion: If you’re running an ebook promotion concurrent with the challenge, I’ll blast it out on both the New LDS Fiction and my personal social media (FB & Twitter), PLUS email it to those who’ve subscribed to my Special Offers email. Cost: $5 per blast. (Limit 1 blast per book)
To apply to be a sponsor of the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge, you need to:
- Use the button below to download an Application Form (Word .docx file).
- Submit your application form(s) by March 29, 2017. (Sorry for the short notice.)
- Submit one form for each title.
- Acceptance will be emailed by March 29, 2017 and will include instructions for paying the fee via PayPal. (Payments will be processed through the Rosehaven Publishing PayPal account.)
- Payment must be received by March 29, 2017.
Other Sponsoring Details
Please read carefully. By submitting the application form below, you agree to be bound by the following:
- Sponsor shall pay a $5 per title Application Fee upon notification of acceptance as a sponsor. This fee purchases a spot on the Book Bundle page for the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge. This page will be available on the website until the next reading challenge.
- Preference is given to newer releases and to books that will create a good blend of genres, if available. However, quality of the book is the main determining factor. All decisions are final.
- You may submit applications for any number of titles, as long as they meet the Eligibility Requirements above, but you may only give away one copy per title.
- All sponsoring book covers shall be placed alphabetically by title, within each Book Bundle genre category, with each book cover linked to Amazon.com. No covers are featured on the sidebar. No author bios included in the post.
- Sponsor shall send one e-book copy of their book to the prize winner selected by NewLDSFiction.com. Sponsors must be able to accommodate reader preferences as to .epub, .mobi, or .pdf formats.
- Prizes shall be awarded regularly throughout the reading challenge. Winners get to pick their Book Bundle and have up to one week after the close of the challenge to send me their contact information. I will forward this information to you via e-mail. Please keep this information private.
- Sponsor shall contact the winner and send the ebook within one week of receipt of notification of winner from New LDS Fiction.
- Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge promotional posts will be made to New LDS Fiction social media accounts and newsletters throughout the challenge. These posts will cover the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge in its entirety and also feature individual titles at least once during the challenge.
- Sponsors are encouraged to post about their own titles in connection with the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge.
- Sponsors may also participate in the reading challenge and are eligible to win prizes.
- Sponsor may withdraw and request a refund (minus processing fees) via email before March 29, 2017. No refunds shall be given after that date.
- If for some reason the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge is cancelled due to default by NewLDSFiction.com, all sponsors will receive pro-rated refunds for the days the challenge was cancelled. There will be no pro-rated refunds due to acts of God or temporary server downtime.
*LDS = Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Click button below to download Word form (.docx)
When you click the button, a dialog box will display allowing you to open the form in Microsoft Word or to save it to your Downloads folder.
Although I cannot imagine a problem developing, I have been advised to state the following: The owners of New LDS Fiction (www.newldsfiction.com) make no claims nor offer any guarantees of effectiveness and shall not be held responsible for any traffic or lack thereof generated by sponsoring NewLDSFiction.com. NewLDSFiction.com shall not be held liable and prizes may not be retracted once the reading challenge has begun. The owners of NewLDSFiction.com, other companies that support or contribute to NewLDSFiction.com, readers, family, friends, neighbors, etc., etc., etc. CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any outcome, positive or negative, that may or may not arise from participation in this sponsorship program, including but not limited to individual blog/website traffic or lack thereof as generated by sponsoring this website and/or its contests; increase or decrease of book sales; a late post date; or anything else that may or may not irk you. SPONSOR AT YOUR OWN RISK.