The Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge* is an annual reading challege that takes place in April. This is a month-long challenge, where participants earn points for reading and reviewing the current Whitney Award Finalists and sponsoring books.
Anyone can participate as a reader (including YOU!). They do not need to be part of the Whitney Voting Academy, nor do they need to be LDS to enter or win.
There are three ways for authors and publishers to participate in the challenge. You may choose to participate in any or all ways.
Reading Challenge prizes may vary from year to year but will include an Amazon Gift Card (provided by New LDS Fiction) and ebooks (provided by sponsors). Daily winners are chosen using the Rafflecopter system of earning points. More points = more chances to win prizes. You can read participant details here.
*The Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge replaces our previous Read ‘Em All Challenge.
Application Deadline: Open until all spots are filled!
Fee Deadline: Before your spot goes live!
Sponsor Promotional Opportunities
There are three ways to get your book noticed during the Whitney Reading Challenge. You may choose to participate in any one of these or a combination. These work independently of the main challenge, but get your book in front of interested readers. Books must meet challenge eligibility requirements.
The main focus of the Reading Challenge is to encourage participants to read and review the Whitney Finalists and the sponsoring books. They work hard to earn their points and we want to make sure they will be pleased with their prize. Therefore, this particular option has higher eligibility requirements for sponsoring books and application does not guarantee acceptance.
If accepted, you will provide one copy of your ebook as a prize in the Rafflecopter giveaway. Your book cover is listed alphabetically by title on the Prize Page, with my affiliate link to Amazon. Your book will remain on this page until the next reading challenge (approximately 3 months). No covers are featured on the sidebar. No author bios included in the post.
Your book will also be featured on the New LDS Fiction Facebook page, LDS Fiction Reading Challenge Facebook Page and LDS Book Geek Twitter account, with a short blurb and link to the Reading Challenge. If you have a Facebook page and/or Twitter account, I will attempt to tag you.
Daily winners will be selected at random by me and they will pick a book from the Prize Page. You will be notified via email when a winner has selected your book and you will send the book directly to them.
Restrictions: Prize book may not be a current Whitney Finalist, but Whitney Finalist authors may provide one of their other books as a prize.
Cost: $5, plus your ebook for the winner.
LDS Fiction Reading Challenges Facebook Group
During the reading challenge, we will also be doing a daily activity in the LDS Fiction Reading Challenges Facebook group. (You can see examples from our previous reading challenge in the group.) This is a great option if your book comes out in April, or if it’s older but you want to remind readers about it.
Not all members of the group participate in the main reading challenge, but their Facebook comments and posts get your name and book in front of more people. This also keeps the fun energy going and draws more attention to the official reading challenge.
Random winners are chosen from commenters on the post. You will be notified via email when a winner is selected and you will send the book directly to them.
Restrictions: This option is limited to 25 sponsoring books. Prize book may not be a current Whitney Finalist or a prize in the Rafflecopter giveaway.
Cost: $5 plus your ebook for the winner.
Promo Blast Promotion
If you’re running an ebook discount promotion concurrent with the challenge, I’ll blast it out on both the New LDS Fiction and my personal social media (FB & Twitter), PLUS add it to a daily email sent to those who’ve subscribed to my Special Offers email list.
Promotion may be on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, and/or Kobo.
Restrictions: Promotion must be during April and be at least 50% off the regular price of the ebook. All Promo Blast applications that meet the Book Eligibility Requirements and Quality Check (see below) will be accepted—including current Whitney Finalists and Rafflecopter prizes.
Cost: $5 per blast. (Limit 1 blast per book.)
If your book is accepted for multiple promo opportunities,
you will receive a 20% discount on your order.
Book Eligibility Requirements
All submitted titles must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Author: Book must be authored or co-authored by an LDS* author.
- Book Type: Fiction only, middle grade and older. No picture books, children’s chapter books, or memoirs.
- Content: G, PG or mild PG-13. There will be a place on the form for details.
- Size: Full-length novels, novellas, and anthologies of at least 50,000 words required. No short stories or novelettes.
- Book Format: This is an ebook giveaway. Sponsor must be able to provide the book in .epub, .mobi, AND .pdf formats. Prize must be the FINAL version of the book that is currently available for sale. No ARCs. No pre-release/uncorrected galleys.
- Release Date: Official release date must be between January 1 of the previous year and first day of the month the Reading Challenge begins. Re-releases only accepted if there have been significant changes to story/plot. Cover, title, and formatting changes do not count.
- Available for Purchase: Must be currently available for purchase on Amazon.com by the first day of the Reading Challenge. (This is to help YOU with sales.) You may apply for books that are posted for pre-release sales, as long as they go live by the first day of the challenge.
- Publisher: Either traditional or self-published.
*LDS = Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Based on feedback from previous reading challenges, we will be including a quality review before accepting submissions. Submission does not mean automatic acceptance as a sponsor.
Using the book sample available on Amazon, a committee will do a spot check on each submission for book cover, internal design, and writing level. Books don’t have to be perfect and we’re not looking at stylistic preferences, but each title should meet minimum reader expectations for a published book.
We will also read a few reviews, at all star levels. The content of the review is more important than the actual star level given. (Don’t worry, we can tell the difference between a thoughtful reviewer and trolls.)
If your application is not accepted, we will notify you as to the reason. Preference is given to books with a professional look to the cover design and formatted interiors.
- Sponsor may be either the author or publisher.
- Sponsors will be required to send an ebook to the winner.
- Sponsor must be able to accommodate reader ebook preferences, having the book available as .epub, .mobi, and .pdf formats.
To apply to be a sponsor of the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge, you need to:
- Use the button below to download an Application Form (Word .docx file).
- Submit your application form(s) by March 30, 2017. (Sorry for the short notice.)
- Submit one form for each title.
- Acceptance will be emailed by March 31, 2017 and will include instructions for paying the fee via PayPal. (Payments will be processed through the Rosehaven Publishing PayPal account.)
- Payment must be received by March 31, 2017.
Other Sponsoring Details
Please read carefully. By submitting the application form below, you agree to be bound by the following:
- Preference is given to newer releases and to books that will create a good blend of genres, if available. However, quality of the book is the main determining factor. All decisions are final.
- You may submit applications for any number of titles, as long as they meet the Eligibility Requirements above, but you may only give away one copy per title.
- Sponsor shall send one e-book copy of their book to the prize winner selected by NewLDSFiction.com. Sponsors must be able to accommodate reader preferences as to .epub, .mobi, and .pdf formats.
- Prizes shall be awarded regularly throughout the reading challenge. Rafflecopter winners may pick their prize and have up to one week after the notification to send me their contact information. I will forward this information to you via e-mail. Please keep this information private.
- Sponsor shall contact the winner and send the ebook within one week of receipt of notification of winner from New LDS Fiction.
- Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge promotional posts will be made to New LDS Fiction social media accounts and newsletters throughout the challenge. These posts will cover the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge in its entirety and also feature individual titles at least once during the challenge.
- Sponsors are encouraged to notify their readership through email and social media about their own titles in connection with the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge.
- Sponsors may also participate in the reading challenge and are eligible to win prizes.
- Sponsor may withdraw and request a refund (minus processing fees) via email before March 31, 2017. No refunds shall be given after that date.
- If for some reason the Whitney Finalists Reading Challenge is cancelled due to default by NewLDSFiction.com, all sponsors will receive pro-rated refunds for the days the challenge was cancelled. There will be no pro-rated refunds due to acts of God or temporary server downtime.
Click button below to download Word form (.docx)
When you click the button, a dialog box will display allowing you to open the form in Microsoft Word or to save it to your Downloads folder.
Although I cannot imagine a problem developing, I have been advised to state the following: The owners of New LDS Fiction (www.newldsfiction.com) make no claims nor offer any guarantees of effectiveness and shall not be held responsible for any traffic or lack thereof generated by sponsoring NewLDSFiction.com. NewLDSFiction.com shall not be held liable and prizes may not be retracted once the reading challenge has begun. The owners of NewLDSFiction.com, other companies that support or contribute to NewLDSFiction.com, readers, family, friends, neighbors, etc., etc., etc. CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any outcome, positive or negative, that may or may not arise from participation in this sponsorship program, including but not limited to individual blog/website traffic or lack thereof as generated by sponsoring this website and/or its contests; increase or decrease of book sales; a late post date; or anything else that may or may not irk you. SPONSOR AT YOUR OWN RISK.