The Summer Book Trek is an annual Reading Challenge that takes place every July. This is a month-long challenge, where participants read as many qualifying books as they can.
Participants earn points for reading novels by LDS authors (or co-authors), leaving online reviews, and nominating qualifying books for the Whitney Awards.
Anyone can participate as a reader. Daily winners are chosen using the Rafflecopter system of earning points. More points = more chances to win free books provided by sponsors (that would be you). Readers earn the most points for reading Sponsoring Books. You can read participant details here.
UPDATED for 2016: Some requirements have changed. Please read the following details carefully before submitting application.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2016
Extended Deadline: June 20, 2016
$5 Application Fee Deadline: June 22, 2016
Book Eligibility Requirements
All submitted titles must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Fiction only, authored or co-authored by an LDS* author. No picture books, children’s chapter books, or memoirs.
- Content should be PG or mild PG-13 only.
- Full length novels, novellas, or anthologies at 100 pages or more. No short stories or novelettes.
- Official release date between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016.
- Must be available for purchase on Amazon.com for the entire month of July 2016.
- Book prize may be either print or e-book; traditional or self-published.
- Re-releases only accepted if there have been significant changes to story/plot. Cover, title, and formatting changes do not count.
Based on feedback from previous reading challenges, we will be including a quality review before accepting submissions. Submission does not mean automatic acceptance as a sponsor.
Using the book sample available on Amazon, a committee will do a spot check on each submission for book cover, internal design, and writing level. Books don’t have to be perfect and we’re not looking at stylistic preferences, but each title should meet minimum reader expectations for a published book.
We will also read a few reviews, at all star levels. The content of the review is more important than the actual star level given. (Don’t worry, we can tell the difference between a thoughtful reviewer and trolls.)
If your application is not accepted, we will notify you as to the reason. Preference is given to books with professional look to the cover design and formatted interiors.
The Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge has grown to the point that it’s nearly a full-time job for me during July. While I do receive affiliate income on Amazon sales during the reading challenge, it doesn’t come close to covering my time. Therefore, I’m implementing a Sponsoring Fee of $5 per title.
To apply to be a sponsor of the 2016 Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge, you need to:
- Use the button below to download an Application Form (Word .docx file). Submit your application form(s) by June 15, 2016. Submit one form for each title.
- Acceptance will be emailed by June 16, 2016 and will include instructions for paying the fee via PayPal. (Payments will be processed through the Rosehaven Publishing PayPal account.)
- Payment must be received by June 22, 2016.
Other Sponsoring Details
Please read carefully. By submitting the application form below, you agree to be bound by the following:
- Sponsor shall pay a $5 per title Application Fee upon notification of acceptance as a sponsor. This fee purchases one giveaway/sponsoring spot on the prize page for the 2016 Summer Book Trek throughout the month of July.
- Reading Challenge participants get DOUBLE POINTS if they read a sponsoring book! (This is a HUGE encouragement for participants to read your book.)
- You may submit applications for any number of titles, as long as they meet the Eligibility Requirements above, but you may only give away one copy per title. If I have to limit the number of sponsoring books, I will contact you to determine which of your titles you want to give away.
- All sponsoring book covers shall be placed alphabetically by title, within the same post, with each book cover linked to Amazon.com. No covers are featured on the sidebar. No author bios included in the post.
- Sponsor shall provide one copy—print OR e-book—of their book to be shipped at sponsor’s expense to a prize winner selected by NewLDSFiction.com.
- Prizes shall be awarded regularly throughout the reading challenge. Winners get to pick their prize and have up to one week after the close of the challenge to send me their contact information. I will forward this information to you via e-mail. Please keep this information private.
- Sponsor shall ship or email the prize straight to the winner. Print books shall be shipped to U.S. addresses only; e-books shall be emailed worldwide.
- Sponsors shall ship books to the winner in a timely manner. Winners will be told that some sponsors may ship the book immediately, others may choose to wait and ship at the end of the Trek. However, all prizes should be shipped/sent by August 15th.
- Summer Book Trek promotional posts will be made to New LDS Fiction social media accounts and newsletters throughout July. These posts will cover the Summer Book Trek in its entirety and titles may be feature as part of a group. There will not be individual book posts.
- Sponsors are encouraged to post about their own titles in connection with the Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge.
- Sponsors may also participate in the reading challenge and are eligible to win prizes.
- Sponsor may withdraw and request a refund (minus processing fees) via email before June 30, 2016. No refunds shall be given after that date. If for some reason the Summer Book Trek Reading Challenge is cancelled due to default by NewLDSFiction.com, all sponsors will receive pro-rated refunds for the days the challenge was cancelled. There will be no pro-rated refunds due to acts of God or temporary server downtime.
Click button below to download Word form (.docx)
When you click the button, a dialog box will display allowing you to open the form in Microsoft Word or to save it to your Downloads folder.
*LDS = Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
**I use my Amazon Affiliate links and earn a small percentage on the sale.
Although I cannot imagine a problem developing, I have been advised to state the following: The owners of New LDS Fiction (www.newldsfiction.com) make no claims nor offer any guarantees of effectiveness and shall not be held responsible for any traffic or lack thereof generated by sponsoring NewLDSFiction.com. NewLDSFiction.com shall not be held liable and prizes may not be retracted once the reading challenge has begun. The owners of NewLDSFiction.com, other companies that support or contribute to NewLDSFiction.com, readers, family, friends, neighbors, etc., etc., etc. CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any outcome, positive or negative, that may or may not arise from participation in this sponsorship program, including but not limited to individual blog/website traffic or lack thereof as generated by sponsoring this website and/or its contests; increase or decrease of book sales; a late post date; or anything else that may or may not irk you. SPONSOR AT YOUR OWN RISK.